Sunday 18 January 2009

Fresh, Real Coffee

I breakfasted this morning thinking about the grace of God and living this life in a world he loves but is under his judgement. Thoughts of refining fire were in my head and perfecting through suffering.

However my attention was quickly drawn to the coffee I was about to make. There were enough grounds left for one brew. In the past this would have been a bad moment and making the coffee an act of frugality, because the grounds would have lost their savour. But we have been drinking more coffee recently and the grounds still had a pleasing aroma. I enjoyed my cup of coffee, made with the care of experience, familiarity with the process and understanding of the importance of warming the pot and the grounds and not pouring on boiling water.


The grace of God enables us to come to God and experience his refreshing touch in simple ways. Overindulgence often can bring dryness but in Christ there is always the anticipation of freshness as we are careful to seek and know a deeper revelation of our need and God's provision. The coffee reminded me of the importance of spending time with God regularly and the reassurance that this would not become a stale experience, in fact it will teach me to be who God wants me to be and give me the time to reflect on what he wants me to do.

With God there is the fire of judgement and refining but also the coolness of the garden where God expresses his special care and where, a friend reminded me this morning, God can tend to the planting which is his word in our hearts, so that we can be fitted for the very real hostilities of the world. Then we can carry the fresh winsome aroma of the garden that is the work of God in us to those in need of the refreshing forgiveness of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment